Learning and Community-building Series
You are invited to view our virtual learning and community-building events sponsored by the Global Anabaptist Health Network (GAHN). Events are recorded and can be viewed below.
Saturday, 19 June 2021
Faith and Practice: Come be inspired and challenged
9:30-10:45 AM Eastern Time (UTC -4)
Has the COVID year highlighted the need to put your faith into practice?
Whether you have wisdom to share on the journey or are just beginning to uncover how faith informs lifestyle choices, career decisions and even everyday routines, come listen to our remarkable speakers share their personal journeys on how their faith has inspired their career and life choices.
Then join our breakout groups to connect more deeply with each other about your own faith stories. French and Spanish translation will be available and breakout rooms will be in English, French and Spanish.
Lyubov Slashcheva is a public health dentist with the non-profit Apple Tree Dental, focusing on care for adults with special needs and older adults. She is also a Research Collaborator with the Mayo Clinic Rochester Epidemiology Project and involved with many public health and dental associations. She lives in Rochester, MN with her husband and three kids, attending Rochester Mennonite Church.
Leon Hoover has over 30 years of experience in behavioral health, starting as a clinician providing mental health and substance abuse services and moving on to senior administrative work. His career has spanned different leadership roles at faith-based behavioral health organizations, recently retiring from Kings View as their CEO. Leon and his wife Carolyn live in Fresno, CA, and are Fresno Mennonite Community Church members.
Saturday May 15, 2021
We have the privilege to hear from three Congolese doctors and the work they each are contributing to for the Congolese healthcare and health systems.
Dr Blaise Kutala will present his clinical research on liver disease and nutrition as well as access to primary care in peri-urban and rural areas together with Dr Delphin Kapasa Mulongo. These three speakers bring their expertise as well as their life experiences of working in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Drs. Bewa, Kutala and Kapasa will answer questions and comment on input from participants.
Dr. Murray Nickel, GAHN steering committee member, will moderate the session.
Click here to watch the recorded session.
Saturday, March 27
Three Doctors, Three Perspectives: Healthcare and health systems in DRC
Presenter: Mark Shelly, MD, Infectious Disease physician, Healthcare Epidemiologist, Geisinger Medical Center; professor, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA. Dr. Mark Shelly presented the unique contribution of Anabaptist perspectives in the battle against infectious diseases around the world including approaches used in different parts of the globe, guiding values, exemplary practices, and the role of faith.
- Our Anabaptist faith has brought light to many tumultuous times.
- How does faith inform our response to science and uncertainty?
- How does love shape our collective life in the midst of disruption and fear?
- Dr. Shelly answers questions and comments on input from participants.
Click here to watch the recorded webinar..
Wednesday, 27 January 2021
Integrating Anabaptist Christian perspectives in health, peacebuilding and leadership development
Presenter: Pakisa Tshmika (Doctor of Public Health, International Public Health)
Dr. Pakisa Tshimika, executive director and founder of Mama Makeka House of Hope, will share unique aspects of the Anabaptist faith that apply to global health based on his extensive leadership, teaching, and organizational development experiences in Anabaptist global health over several decades.
- He will tell stories of his many ventures into Anabaptist global health, and specifically will share about the development of the Mama Makeka House of Hope in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- He will also engage participants in dialogue.
Dr. Rick Stiffney will moderate the session.
Wednesday, 18 November 2020
Anabaptist health-related global activities and research
10:00-11:15 AM Eastern Time (UTC-5)
Our presenters include:
- Dr. Virgo Handojo, Professor of Psychology, California Baptist University, and Anabaptist pastor, who will give a summary of research findings on love, wellbeing, and spirituality among Indonesian populations in Indonesia and the U.S., and implications for dealing with COVID-19
- Dr. Chiang-Liang Wu, Superintendent at Mennonite Christian Hospital (MCH) in Hualien, Taiwan, who will give an overview of impact of the Mennnonite Christian Hospital in the Hualien region of Taiwan
- Paul Shetler Fast, Health Coordinator, Mennonite Central Committee, who will talk about Mennonite Central Committee health programming and engagement with Anabaptist health services
Wednesday, 16 September 2020
Anabaptist-related responses to COVID-19
We will begin to explore Anabaptist responses to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
Rick Stiffney (PhD), former CEO of Mennonite Health Services, and executive consultant will moderate our learning and sharing. The session will include:
- Implementing a Care Group model in a COVID-19 health promotion and prevention project in the Mathare community of Nairobi, Kenya (Judith Siambe Opiyo, Program Officer, Centre for Peace and Nationhood, Kenya Mennonite Church)
- Responding to COVID-19 through Sistema de Salud Menonita (SSM) in a large geographic region of Puerto Rico (Dr. Luis Torrellas Ruiz, Pneumologist and Medical Director in SSM)
Click here to read about the 16 September 2020 event.